Bayelsa State Governor, His Excellency, Senator Douye Diri, sets up the Bayelsa State Technical Committee on Oil Spillage at the Santa Barbara, Nembe Local Government Area of the State.
The Committee is to investigate, assess the impact, study and review the cause of the oil spill which occurred in November 2021 at the Santa Barbara River in Nembe LGA of the State and take all necessary actions with a view to pursuing adequate compensation for the affected communities, clean up all affected areas, as well as put in place all necessary measures to forestall future oil spill in Bayelsa State.
Members of the Committee are:
1. BIRIYAI DAMBO, SAN, Hon. Attorney-General & Commissioner for Justice, Bayelsa State – Chairman
2. HON. ISELEMA GBARANBIRI – MemberHon. Commissioner for Environment
3. HON. EBIERE JONES – MemberHon. Commissioner for Mineral Resources
4. MR. INURO WILLS – MemberFormer Commissioner for Environment & Legal Practitioner
5. MR WOYENGIKURO AGADAH – MemberFormer Director, Environmental Assessment Department of the Bayelsa State Ministry of Environment
6. PROFESSOR IWEKUMO AGBOZU – MemberDVC of University of Africa & Environmental Expert
7. PROFESSOR SOLOMON EBOBRAH – MemberDirector, Centre for Niger Delta Studies (and former Dean of Law), Niger Delta University
8. MR TOBIN IGIRI – MemberGeophysicist, Chevron (relevant for his reservoir and wellhead expertise, and for his outstanding passion about environmental impacts of bad oilfield practice)
9. ENGR ENAI REUBEN – MemberDirector/Head, Petroleum and Pollution Department, Bayelsa State Ministry of Environment.
10. EMMANUEL YINFAOWEI, ESQ. – MemberDeputy Director, Ministry of Justice
11. LUGARD TARE-OTU, ESQ. – Secretary Special Asssistant to theHon. Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice.