The public have been cautioned on the proper use of road signs in order to minimize road accidents, especially during the rush that comes with the Yuletide.
The commissioner for Information, Orientation and Strategy, Hon Ayiba Duba noted that accidents could be avoided if drivers and pedestrians are cautious on the road.
Hon. Duba who made the remark during a courtesy visit by the new Bayelsa Sector Commander of the FRSC in his office in Yenagoa, stated that most fatal accidents could be avoided if all road users are considerate.
The Commissioner emphasised the commitment of government in ensuring that lives are protected. Adding that the Ministry will assist the Corps in its enlightenment campaigns against reckless driving.
Earlier, the new Sector Commanding Officer, Commander Usman lbrahim psc, highlighted the mandate of the Federal Road Safety Corps to include:
1. Patrol on the highways for safety
2. Achieving zero tolerance to death rate even in crashes.
3. Leveraging on technology to sensitise the general public
4. Regulating driving Schools in Bayelsa State
5. Issuing plate numbers and drivers’ license
6. Safety advocacies in churches, mosques, motor parks, amongst other functions.