Governor of Bayelsa State, His Excellency, Senator Douye Diri today, formally inaugurated the flood and erosion control directorate in the State.
The committee which is saddled with the responsibility of proffering lasting solution to the flooding and erosion problem was set up on the the 30th of March, 2023, and formally inaugurated today at the State executive council chambers of Government House, Yenagoa.
Governor Diri charged the committee to write their names in the annals of history of Bayelsa State by developing sustainable flood management mechanisms, stating that they have been carefully selected to be in the committee.
“You have been carefully and thoroughly selected, and I have no doubt in my mind that you fit in for this assignment. Yours is therefore, an urgent invitation to save the lives and property, and write your names in history in Bayelsa State, and by implication, in Nigeria.
You must address the threat of flood and erosion with utmost priority that it deserves, develop sustainable flood management practices, introduce erosion control techniques and design flood resistant structures among other structures that can be adopted to mitigate the risk involved in the very near future,” Governor Diri stated.
Those inaugurated include;
1. Surveyor (Chief) Omuso D. Omuso- Director General
2. Daniel Tenemeni Ebi- Secretary
3. Prof. Edmond Allison Oguru- Member
4. Surveyor Iyeritei Quickpenny- Member
5. Engr. Amos Waritimi- Member
6. Very Rev. (Dr.) Peter Niemennam Ikuli- Member
7. Surveyor Ebifuro Odubo (Representative of Niger Delta University)- Member
8. Kingsley Onyeche- Member
9. Emeritus Professor Winston Bellygam- Technical Adviser
10. Architect Harcourt Adukeh- Technical Adviser.